Monday 18 January 2016

Sepia Saturday 314 : 23 January 2016


Our Sepia Saturday theme image this week, like the vast majority of our theme images, comes from the wonderful Flickr Commons initiative. Not only does Flickr Commons provide a platform for museums and archives to make their collections available to the general public, but it also provides a forum for the collaborative exploration of those images. This photograph - which has been contributed by the National Library of Ireland - provides an excellent illustration of this. The original catalogue details are as follows:

The Fannings
This family is almost certainly from Newtown in Waterford city, and Mr Fanning may have had something to do with a Butter Store. I'd say from the clothes, etc. that this is quite early for a Poole photo? (1884 is our earliest Poole glass plate.)

It's a great shot of parents, children, and puppy all en famille, and their freckliness (officially recognised medical term) is fascinating...

Date: 1880s??


Whilst that is interesting in its own right, the discussion which follows adds extra layers of fascination - in exactly the way we Sepias are very familiar with. As far as our Sepia Saturday 314 efforts are concerned (post your post on or around Saturday 23 January 2016 and add a link to the list below) there are a host of potential themes to go with - I know which one I will be following and the reason why (but you will have to wait to discover what that is). Here is our normal look ahead at what is waiting for us around the sepia corner.



I will leave you with the Fannings and their collection of toy boats. Talking of boats, I am off for a few days to the coast for reasons that are beyond me. I will be back for the weekend but then I have to go back to the coast on Sunday for reasons that are anything but beyond me. Time will tell.




13 comments:

Sharon said...

I am off work at the moment so an early poster this week; Forty Seven Sailors

Kristin said...

My grandparents and their 7 children on holiday. One wearing a cap.

ScotSue said...

I am following a traditional route this week, with "Families Together". With apologies too - blogger is playing me up, as I cannot get rid of the small type for my introduction, despite the draft on screen showing Normal size font.

Postcardy said...

I have an unidentified family group.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Got caught up in buttons this week. Actually had to tear myself away.

Little Nell said...

I sailed off to the model boat pond.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Sailor suits and boats, sort of beach and fashion; why not?

kathy said...

A branch of the Irish side of my family that made butter.

Mike Brubaker said...

Some family photos but not my family. German and musical.
The UPDATE was a mistaken extra left over from last week. If you are interested, go back to my previous post where I added an image that proves which Allentown band that the brothers Irving and Paul played in.

DougVernX said...

I never had a navel outfit when I was a kid. Those look cool.

Unknown said...

It's the model sailboat...

Unknown said...

So many things to pick from in this picture, straw hats, umbrellas, bear skin rugs, boats, family, etc. Which way to go? I went with boats… to start with and then picked my own direction!

La Nightingail said...

A little bit of a problem getting my entry posted this week, but it has an umbrella . . .