Tuesday 12 January 2016

Sepia Saturday 313 : 16 January 2016



Our Sepia Saturday theme image this week features two little children, their faces full of hope and expectation, photographed at a time of great tragedy. It is a photograph of two "Titanic Orphans" - the French brothers Michel (age 4) and Edmond Navratil (age 2). To board the ship, their father assumed the name Louis Hoffman and used their nicknames, Lolo and Mamon. Their father died in the disaster of the RMS Titanic, which struck an iceberg in April 1912 and sank, killing more than 1,500 people. The photograph comes from the Bain Collection, part of the Library of Congress stream on Flickr Commons

There are, of course, endless possibilities as far as themes are concerned (you don't need me to point them out to you). All I need to point out is that you should post your posts on or around Saturday 16th January 2016 and add a link to the list below.

Before you embark on your Sepia Saturday journey this week, you might want to see what is over the Sepia horizon.


 

A full list of themes for the first quarter of 2016 can be found in the link on the sidebar. For now, jump on board Sepia Saturday 313 - who knows where we might finish up!




19 comments:

ScotSue said...

Quick off the mark this week, with a tale of two Ediths.

Kristin said...

Me and my sister in 1953 by Idlewild Lake with our dolls.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Memories of an inspirational artist and my own family's shipwreck stories.

Postcardy said...

A 1910 photo postcard of a cute little boy.

kathy said...

It's a train wreck.

Unknown said...

It was the clothes that got me...the stripes, the collars!

Little Nell said...

A common pose, a toddler being something to hold on.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Havent been here in quite awhile. Have some blogs I published of found photos I havent shared yet. Hope everyone is well!

DougVernX said...

I've gotten myself into a rather sticky mess with this prompt.

La Nightingail said...

Little girls and the things they hold.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Children and social reform.

Anonymous said...

The death of a child in the family.

Sharon said...

They had tough lives in the past!

Alan Burnett said...

I am busy practicing my party piece for the passengers' talent contest on the cruise I am booked on later this year.

Jofeath said...

Two little girls whose identity remains unknown

Jofeath said...

Two little girls whose identity remains unknown

Mike Brubaker said...

I've got a photo of two brothers almost from the same year, plus more postcards of Allentown, PA. All musical of course.

Unknown said...

Been wanting to write my rubber rabbit story and this tied in nicely!

Mike Brubaker said...

I found more clues this morning that better complete my story.