Monday 2 September 2013

Sepia Saturday 193 : 7 September 2013


Some times you just need to be alone. You need space : space to think, space to breathe, space to contemplate your place in the great scheme of things. What better way to find such space than to get into a boat and row out into the middle of the sea. This is what this young lady did back in 1900 somewhere near Estonia. And her trip into the middle of nowhere was recorded and is preserved for ever in the Flickr Commons stream of the National Archives of Estonia. For Sepia Saturday posters who like a theme, there is any combination of girl, boat, middle and nowhere. Whatever you decide to go with, just post your post on or around Saturday 14th September 2013 and link it to the list below.

But before you go in search of solitude, perhaps you would like something to think about whilst you are floating on the waves. Here are the next two Sepia Saturday theme images.


194 : Here is a woman making an American flag which might point you in the direction of flags, sewing, books or even chandeliers.


195. Today will be International Day of Peace. Sepians can do their bit by highlighting it in their blogs. Activities around the world will include; ceremonies, prayers, choirs, tree planting, art exhibitions, lighting candles, peace walks. Your response could be one of these from the past, historical or personal.

So now you know what is required of you, not just for this week but for the two weeks after as well. Free yourself of all distractions, find your own piece of solitude, compose your posts, post your posts, and then row around and visit all your sepia friends.





28 comments:

Boobook said...

Early this week because if I don't do it now it won't get done.

Jofeath said...

Same goes for me, as I'm away this weekend.Off to the beach, but i doubt I'll be going boating there:-)

ScotSue said...

A journey into calming waters this week - so sit back and relax,.

Little Nell said...

A bit adrift this week.

Bob Scotney said...

I may have missed the boat.

tony said...

Ahoy There!

Rosie said...

Didn't quite find a woman alone in her boat, but found a woman alone in the wilderness...

Kristin said...

My mother rowing a boat but not alone.

Wendy said...

A canoe and camping trip.

Anonymous said...

Concentric circles - a boat in a river in a town in a big wide plain.

Jackie van Bergen said...

A woman alone in a boat - the Titanic!

Lovely's Blot said...

No boat I'm afraid but I did get a girl and the sea!

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

My grandparents in a rowboat in Central Park; a favorite picture.

Kat Mortensen said...

Still on holiday (staycation), but I managed to pull something together.

Unknown said...

I couldn't find a woman in a boat, but I found a man in a boat, and the similarities to the prompt photo are amazing...

Anonymous said...

Funny, Deb Gould, I thought my image is also quite similar to the prompt. Looking forward to comparing our posts! :-) Of course, I have added a dog to the mix, heh.

Postcardy said...

I have postcards showing canoeing on a Minneapolis lake.

Mike Brubaker said...

I'm off topic as nothing else in my collection seemed to fit. But I do have a postcard with a 114th anniversary next week.

Anne Young said...

The rowing in my pictures not as calm and reflective as the picture in Estonia

Joan said...

Afloat after a number of technical difficulties.

Alex Daw said...

Messing about in boats....

dakotaboo said...

It's back to my vintage postcards again for my submission this week ... alone in a boat.

DougVernX said...

Ill see your rowboat and up the ante with a pair of surf boats.

Hazel said...

A wife with unfinished business rows her boat on a klong.

Sean Bentley said...

Not terribly sepia per se this week, but definitely on theme! Girls (at least MY girls) and boats are two of my favorite things.

Bruno Laliberté said...

On a quest to achieve solitude.
Not as easy as you'd think...
:D~
HUGZ

Tattered and Lost said...

MAN OVERBOARD!

Anonymous said...

I've posted my sailing trip in Giethoorn.